Friday, February 12, 2010

Dr. Joshi's DETOX for 21 days

I am embarking on a diet from today. Yeah, yeah, I know this must be the millionth time I have said THAT, but I am very positive about this one. It is based on Dr. Nish Joshi's Ayurvedic principles. It is not based on starvation, rather we are encouraged to eat till we feel full... but what we eat is the key here. It is a detox diet, which means that the food is going to be so fresh and homemade and additive-free that the body pushes out the toxins stored inside, in order to welcome the new, healthy sustenance.

We CANNOT eat -
Red meat
Seafood, except oily fish
Dairy produce
Fruits, except bananas
Wheat, gluten and yeast
Alcohol
Nuts
Veggies belonging to the nightshade family, i.e., mushrooms, augergines, tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes and green/red/yellow peppers
Jams and spreads
Coffee and tea, except herbal
Sugar, chocolate and sweets
Artificially produced flavourings, such as ketchup, vinegar and mustard

I know, what is actually left, jeez!

Actually, plenty. In the next 21 days, I can consume reasonable quantity of:

Goat's cheeses (like feta)
White meat – chicken and turkey
Brown basmati or long grain rice
Live yoghurt (unsweetened)
Dark green leaves and vegetables, except avocado
Eggs, no more than 3 to 4 a week
Fish, especially oily but NOT shellfish, tuna or swordfish
Gluten free/wheat free cereals, rice crackers and breads
Honey
Olive oil
Pulses, lentils, chick peas
Soya and tofu products

I stocked my pantry with the following items (cost me £25 at Waitrose) – Live yogurt, Rice milk, Brown Basmati, Cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, spinach, carrots, red lentils, salmon (4 big pieces), onions, fresh garlic and ginger, mild green chillies, green tea, walnuts, fresh coriander.

(I already had extra virgin olive oil, lemons, and all herbs and Indian spices at home... this is a staple if you want to do this diet, invest in the Indian spices to make your detox tasty... at the barest minimum, you should have: Ground coriander, cumin seeds, black mustard, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, korma powder, garam masala, rosemary, thyme, oregano)

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment